From Petrol to Pedals

From Petrol to Pedals. This blog chronicles one man's obsession with commuting by bike.

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Riding in winter

Riding in the winter can be a daunting task, especially living in the Pacific Northwest.

Take a look at this photo (thanks PDX underdog!):


Tonight's ride home included:
a) wind
b) heavy rains
c) darkness! (you gotta say it out loud like Chappelle describes Charlie Murphhhhhhhhy)
d) fog

Welcome to Portland in December! 

By the time I got home, everything was soaked. I mean EVERYTHING. So much for rainproof gloves, pants, jacket, jockstrap, goggles, and hat.

So this leads me to my question...is it worth it?

I replayed this question over and over again in my head every day this week. The answer is yes...

I was approach by a co-worker this afternoon who saw me on my way to the changing room.

Co-worker: Wow, did you bike today?
Me: Yeah, it sucks outside
Co-worker: I just got into walking and bought some waterproof pants and it's way too wet outside for me to even walk.
Me: It's actually not bad when you have waterproof pants, booties, and jacket.
Co-worker: Wow, I didn't know that. Hmmm, maybe I should start walking again. You're great inspiration.
Me: And that's what keeps me riding.

Sometimes in life, you do things and you know they aren't going to be uber fun or 100% awesome, but rather you do them to make an impact on someone else. We all have a responsibility to lead by example. Whether it's picking up the McDonald's wrapper on your dog walk or helping a neighbor who is locked-out. 

Do it. I promise you won't regret it. 

Who knows, maybe my co-worker will start walking at work and have a positive change in her life.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment